Have you been wanting to find ways to make your chickens healthier? Maybe you are just deciding to get some chickens and you want to start out by making sure they are eating well. There are many ways that you can raise healthy chickens. Many chicken owners decide they are going to have their chickens eat organic chicken feed. This just might be the best chicken feed to give your chickens, as well.
Benefits of Organic Chicken Feed
There are many benefits that you will find when feeding your chickens organic chicken feed. Some of the benefits that you may want to know about today include the following:
- The chicken is healthier than any non-organic chicken. This is because it doesn’t have the chemical additives in it. There are also more omega-3 fatty acids in organic chicken feed.
- You can get non gmo chicken feed. There are many types of chicken feed out there that are non-gmo. These are much healthier for chickens because they aren’t genetically modified. The genetically modified chicken feeds often have fillers, additives, and other chemicals that could actually be harmful to your chickens.
- It has a better taste than non-organic chicken feed. If you want your chickens to enjoy their food more, organic chicken feed is the best option. There are many different options with different flavors. You can try out a few different ones to see which brands your chickens prefer.
Now that you know more about the benefits of organic chicken feed, you may be wondering what ingredients are in this type of chicken feed. The ingredients are going to vary depending on what brand you buy or whether you make the chicken feed yourself.
Ingredients in Organic Chicken Feed
Depending on which brand and type of organic chicken feed you purchase or make the ingredients can vary. However, some of the most common chicken feed ingredients include the following:
- Oyster Shells
- Sunflower Seeds
- Split peas
- Sesame seeds
These are just some of the many ingredients that you may find in organic chicken feed. If you want to find or make the best chicken feed, you should look for these ingredients. Each of these ingredients has health benefits for chickens.
Things to Consider Before Getting Organic Chicken Feed
While you may want to just go out and buy organic chicken feed, there are some things you should consider first. Some of these things include the following:
- You should always purchase non gmo chicken feed.
- The best chicken feed will have amino acids, protein, trace elements, vitamins, and enzymes.
- Keep in mind that baby chicks need more protein than adult chickens.
- You can also get organic chicken feed snacks.
Now that you have this information, you can go out and buy organic chicken feed. If you don’t want to buy it and would rather make your own, there are many great chicken feed recipe options available, as well. You can do a quick online search to find a range of organic chicken feed recipes to make for your chickens.
Chicken Feed Recipe Options
If you decide that you would like to make your own chicken feed, there are many great recipes that you could try out. With this being said, there are some standards that you may want to follow. These include the following:
- 30 percent wheat
- 30 percent corn
- 20 percent peas
- 10 percent fish meal
- 10 percent oats
- 2 percent poultry nutrition balancer
- Free choice aragonite
- Free choice kelp
By making an organic chicken feed with these standards, you can give you chickens the best chicken feed possible. In addition, by following the above percentages, the chicken feed that you make will provide the most health benefits for your chickens.
Types of Chicken Feed
If you have chickens, you need to make sure you stock up on chicken feed. However, you may not know what type of chicken feed you should get for your chickens. There are many different options available. Some of the most common types of chicken feed include the following:
- Pellets. These are available just about anywhere online and in the local stores. They are beneficial because they don’t go to waste easily.
- Crumbles. These are much more difficult to find. However, they are good for your chickens because they are easy to eat.
- Mash. This type of chicken feed is good for baby chicks. It is easiest for chicks to eat.
These are just a few of the many types of chicken feed out there. You can also get chick starter, finisher, chicken scratch, or make your own chicken feed recipe. Keep in mind that the food you decide to feed your chickens will affect their health. It is important to make sure your chicks and chickens are getting the best chicken feed.
Now that you know more about organic chicken feed, chicken feed ingredients, and how to find the best chicken feed, you can make sure your chickens are eating what they are supposed to be.