Have you been thinking about adopting a Manchester terrier? If so, it would be a good idea to learn more about this dog breed first.
There are many great traits and characteristics of the Manchester terrier dog breed. Keep reading here to find out more about this dog breed.
Size of the Manchester Terrier
The size of this dog breed is going to depend mostly on what type of Manchester terrier you get. Just like the different types of poodles, there are toy and standard Manchester terries. If you get a toy Manchester terrier, you can expect that they will be under 12 lbs. If you get a standard Manchester terrier, you can expect them to weigh between 12 and 22 lbs.
Personality of the Manchester Terrier
When it comes to the personality and temperament of the toy Manchester terrier or the standard Manchester terrier, you might be a bit surprised. These dogs adore being around their owners. They are very social.
If you are going to be home a lot or you can have someone stay with your dog, then a Manchester terrier would fit perfectly into your family. Some of the other personality traits that you may like to know about include the following:
- Sometimes easy-to-train (although they might need a lot of refocusing and positive reinforcement)
- Believe they run things (can be trained out of this)
- Protective of their owners
- When socialized early, usually do great with other animals and children
- Willful and lively
- Needs to get up and move around a lot
- Manchester terrier puppy will be playful and curious
This is the personality of the Manchester terrier dog breed. Does this sound like the type of puppy or dog that would fit great in with your family? If so, you should check into adopting a Manchester terrier.
Caring for a Manchester Terrier
It would also be helpful to learn about caring for a Manchester terrier. There are many care tips that might help if you are going to get a Manchester terrier puppy or adult Manchester terrier. Some of the tips that you might need include the following:
- Be sure your Manchester terrier gets plenty of exercises every day (agility training, obedience training, disc games, runs, and walks are all great options)
- Spend time with your puppy or dog every day
- Give them buster cubes or other treat toys to keep them occupied
- Best to be indoor dogs
- Having a fenced-in yard would be great for extra playtime
Now you know more about how to care for a black and tan terrier or any other color of Manchester terrier. It is a great idea to know more about the feeding requirements for Manchester terriers, as well.
Feeding Guidelines for Your Manchester Terrier
The feeding guidelines are going to vary a bit depending on whether you have a toy Manchester terrier or a standard Manchester terrier. They will also vary some based on whether you have a Manchester terrier puppy or an adult Manchester terrier. With this being said, there are some average feeding guidelines that you might want to consider. These guidelines consist of the following:
- ¼ to 1 cup of quality dry dog food every day (split this between 2 meals)
- The amount of food daily varies based on your dog’s activity level, metabolism, build, age, and size
- More active Manchester terriers need to eat a bit more than less active dogs of this breed.
It is very important to feed your Manchester terrier the proper amount of food every day. Be sure their food is high-quality, as well.
Grooming and Coat Information for the Manchester Terrier
Another thing that you will need to think about when getting any dog is the grooming needs of that particular breed. The Manchester terrier breed is fairly low maintenance. Some of the things that you may want to know about grooming a Manchester terrier and about their coat include the following:
- They have a short tan and black coat
- Brushing their coat once a week is sufficient (use a bristle or rubber brush)
- Moderate shedding (brushing them regularly will help to keep the shedding to a minimum)
- Twice every year this dog breed blows their coat (this means they shed more in the fall and in the spring)
- If they stay clean, they will only need baths when they are getting excessively dirty
- Teeth need to be brushed 2-3 times every week
- Nails should be trimmed 1-2 times every month
Now that you know the grooming habits of the Manchester terrier, you can decide if this dog would be a great fit for you and/or your family.
These are some of the top things that you need to know about the Manchester terrier. Whether you are planning to get a toy Manchester terrier or a standard Manchester terrier, hopefully, this information can help you to provide the best care for them.