With so many dog breeds to choose from, you may be at a loss for which dog you want to get. If you are looking to adopt a pet chihuahua, there are some pros and cons people have noted about this dog breed that you may want to know about.
Here are some things that you need to know about chihuahuas as pets.
Pros of Having a Chihuahua
- Cuteness - These little dogs are so cute. They can fit right in your lap, arms, or a dog carrier. You can walk around carrying them.
- Great Apartment Dogs - Do you live in an apartment? Do you want a dog? If so, you should know that chihuahuas make great apartment dogs. This is because of their size and not needing as much space to run around.
- Watchdog - Do you want a watchdog or a guard dog? Chihuahuas are often great at barking or alerting you when someone is in the yard. If someone knocks at the door and you don’t hear it, you won’t have to worry either. Your chihuahua will likely bark loud enough to let you know someone is there.
- Indoor Potty Training - Since Chihuahuas are so small, they can be easily trained to go to the bathroom in a litter box. With this being said, you should use newspaper or fake grass, not kitty litter. The kitty litter can be fatal for Chihuahuas.
- Easily Groomed - if you don’t want to provide a lot of grooming for your dog, a Chihuahua is a great option. They have short hair, so you don’t have to worry about brushing them a lot.
- Long Life Span - Generally, Chihuahuas have great lifespan. They will live between 11 to 20 years. 15 years is the average.
- Great Travel Companion - If you need some company while traveling, a Chihuahua would be great. Traveling with pets is not always easy, but not it's also not a big challenge if you have a Chihuahua. They can sit in the front seat and keep you company during your travels.
These are some of the many things that makes Chihuahuas great pets. However, there are some downsides to owning a Chihuahua, as well.
Things To Consider When Having a Chihuahua
In addition to the above-mentioned benefits of having a Chihuahua, there are some things to consider when having a pet dog chihuahua, too. Some of these include:
- Fragile - If your Chihuahua even falls off from the couch, they could get easily injured. In addition, Chihuahuas shouldn’t rough-house because of the higher chance of getting injured.
- Not Always Great with Children - There are some Chihuahuas that aren’t the greatest with children. This is because many children love being rough when playing with dogs and this can’t happen with Chihuahuas.
- Bad in Colder Temperatures - If you live in a colder place, you shouldn’t have a Chihuahua. They don’t do well in colder temperatures.
- Barking - Contrary to barkless dogs, the majority of Chihuahuas will bark a lot. If you live in an apartment or if you don’t want a dog that barks a lot, getting a Chihuahua may not be the best idea.
These are some of the things you should consider before having a Chihuahua. As with any other pets, knowing about the proper chihuahua pet care is a must before bringing home one. With this information about the pros and cons of owning a Chihuahua, you can now decide if this is the right type of dog to have in your household.