Pros of Having a ChihuahuaIf you are looking into getting a chihuahua, there some things people love about these dogs. Some of the many different pros of having a chihuahua include the following:
- Cuteness - These little dogs are so cute. They can fit right in your lap, arms, or a dog carrier. You can walk around carrying them.
- Great Apartment Dogs - Do you live in an apartment? Do you want a dog? If so, you should know that chihuahuas make great apartment dogs. This is because of their size and not needing as much space to run around.
- Watchdog - Do you want a watchdog? Chihuahuas are often great at barking or alerting you when someone is in the yard. If someone knocks at the door and you don’t hear it, you won’t have to worry either. Your chihuahua will likely bark loud enough to let you know someone is there.
- Indoor Potty Training - Since Chihuahuas are so small, they can be easily trained to go to the bathroom in a litter box. With this being said, you should use newspaper or fake grass, not kitty litter. The kitty litter can be fatal for Chihuahuas.
- Easily Groomed - if you don’t want to provide a lot of grooming for your dog, a Chihuahua is a great option. They have short hair, so you don’t have to worry about brushing them a lot.
- Long Life Span - Generally, Chihuahuas will live between 11 to 20 years. 15 years is the average.
- Great Travel Companion - If you need some company while traveling, a Chihuahua would be great. They can sit in the front seat and keep you company during your travels.
Cons of Having a ChihuahuaIn addition to the above-mentioned benefits of having a Chihuahua, there are some downsides to having this type of dog for a pet, too. Some of these cons include:
- Fragile - If your Chihuahua even falls off from the couch, they could get easily injured. In addition, Chihuahuas shouldn’t rough-house because of the higher chance of getting injured.
- Not Always Great with Children - There are some Chihuahuas that aren’t the greatest with children. This is because many children love being rough when playing with dogs and this can’t happen with Chihuahuas.
- Bad in Colder Temperatures - If you live in a colder place, you shouldn’t have a Chihuahua. They don’t do well in colder temperatures.
- Barking - The majority of Chihuahuas will bark a lot. If you live in an apartment or if you don’t want a dog that barks a lot, getting a Chihuahua may not be the best idea.
These are some of the cons of having a Chihuahua. With this information about the pros and cons of owning a Chihuahua, you can now decide if this is the right type of dog to have in your household.