If you are going to adopt a puppy, it is important that their nutritional needs are being met. It can be tough, as a puppy parent, to know exactly what type of dry dog food or wet dog food, your puppy should have.
There are so many high-quality dog foods to choose from and some that aren’t so great, as well. Keep reading here if you want to know how to find the best dog food with grains and/or without grains for your puppy.
Carefully Choosing the Dog Food Brand
When you are first looking at all of the dog food brands, you need to make sure the brand you choose has food for puppies. Puppies must be eating puppy food because that is the food that has the nutrients they need.
Some of the other considerations to make when choosing the right dry dog food or wet dog food for your puppy include the following:
- Pick a puppy food brand that has gone through feeding trials with the AAFCO (these foods that the proper formulas for puppies and dogs)
- Find a dog food brand that is highly rated
- Be sure the puppy food brand you are choosing has a balanced diet for your dog (this should include vitamins, minerals, and healthy ingredients)
- Check out the dog food brands that have the best dog food with grains
These are some of the tips that allow you to find the right food for dogs or puppies in your house.
Pay Attention to Calories
Another thing that you should do when looking for the best puppy food is to pay attention to the calories. There are a few things that you should know when looking at the calories in puppy food. Some of these things include the following:
- Puppy food should have more calories in it than adult dog food (the extra calories are needed because puppies have more energy as they are growing and playing)
- Around ½ the calories in puppy food are needed for muscle and tissue growth and other developments
- If needed, check with your puppy’s veterinarian to find out exactly how many calories they should have in their food
After you know how many calories your puppy should be getting in their daily diet, you can have a better idea of what puppy food to give them.
Here are some great dog food recipes that are low in calories:
Size of the Puppy Does Make a Difference
Are you looking into the best dog food with grains or without grains? If so, it is important to remember that the size of your puppy does make a difference. There are a few things to note about puppy size and choosing the right dry dog food or wet dog food. Some of these things include the following:
- The food should be made for the puppy size (for example, if you have a large breed dog you should get large breed puppy food)
- Different dog breeds grow at different rates (for example, the large breed puppy food has the nutrients and vitamins needed to help large breed puppies grow)
Now you know how important your puppy’s breed size is when picking out their food. With this information, you can make sure to get your puppy the right dry dog food or wet dog food.
Puppy Food Size Matters, Too
When you are picking out food for dogs (puppies), you should make sure to look at the size of the puppy food, too. For example, most small breed puppies need very small food pieces. They can’t chew up or swallow larger food pieces. However, large breed puppies can have bigger kibble pieces.
Ingredients in the Puppy Food
You will need to look at the ingredients in the puppy food, as well. It is important to make sure the ingredients lead to your puppy getting a balanced diet. Some of the other things to consider when looking at the ingredients in puppy food include the following:
- The food should have DHA (an essential fatty acid that is needed for proper puppy growth and development)
- No harmful chemicals or ingredients
- Choose the best dog food with grains
- Be sure the ingredients don’t include anything your puppy is allergic to
As long as you follow these tips, you should be able to find the best food for your puppy.
There are so many different dog food brands on the market today. You can find dog food in local stores and online. No matter where you are getting food for dogs, it is important that the food meets their nutritional needs.
If you are bringing a puppy into your family, following the above-mentioned tips will help you to get them the puppy food that is best for them.
If you have further questions regarding puppy food for your specific puppy, be sure to talk to your dog’s veterinarian and ask for their recommended food options.