Whenever you bring a beagle into your life, you will want to keep them healthy and happy. With this being said, there are some health issues found in beagles that you should know about. If you notice the signs of any of these beagle dog health issues in your beagle, be sure they get proper medical attention as soon as possible.
Health Issues Found in Beagle PuppiesIf you have just brought or recently brought a beagle puppy into your home, it is important to keep an eye out for some of the health issues that may arise. Some of these may include the following:
- Cherry Eye - This happens if the tissue holding your dog’s tear gland gets weak. If this occurs, their gland will come out of place. You will be able to see it well. It will look bright red and round. In some instances, the gland becomes infected and quits functioning. If you notice the cherry eye in your puppy, call their veterinarian immediately, so they can schedule surgery to repair the issue.
- Chondrodysplasia - This beagle health issue is actually rare, but it does happen. If your beagle gets this condition, they could experience severe joint pain. Generally, this arises between the ages of 3 to 4 weeks. Your beagle won’t be developing well and they may have difficulty getting around. At 6 months of age, your beagle puppy may look deformed. The veterinarian can’t cure this but they can offer medication to help with your puppy’s pain.
- Puppy Pyoderma - If your beagle puppy develops this skin condition, it will look like they have acne on their stomach. However, it is an infection, which is treatable. The veterinarian will likely prescribe medicated shampoo along with antibiotics.
These are some of the health issues of beagles that you might notice in your beagle puppy. There are some health issues that you might notice in your adult beagle, as well.
Health Issues Found in Adult Beagles
In addition to the health issues you read about in beagle puppies, there are some issues that might present themselves in adult beagles, too. These health issues include the following:
- Allergies - Beagles could develop allergies to a range of different things. If you notice your adult beagle is scratching a lot or getting a number of ear infections, this could be related to allergies. Diet changes and antihistamines often clear up the symptoms.
- Hypothyroidism - Your adult beagle could develop issues with their thyroid. If you notice weight gain, cold weather intolerance, lethargy, hair loss, or a dull coat, these could signify hypothyroidism. Your dog may need supplements to help with this condition.
- Idiopathic Epilepsy - A genetic issue that could arise is called idiopathic epilepsy. If you notice your beagle starts having seizures, you should have them checked out by the veterinarian right away. They can run proper tests to see if your dog has this condition. If so, medications can be prescribed.
These are some of the health issues that your loving beagle could have. If you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms in your beagle, have them see their veterinarian right away.